The 870 temporary parent visa is a visa category available to parents of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens. This visa was introduced in 2019 as an alternative to the more traditional parent visa options, which can have lengthy processing times and high costs.
The 870 temporary parent visa allows parents to live in Australia for up to three or five years, depending on the visa stream chosen. The visa can be renewed for a maximum period of 10 years. It is a temporary visa and does not provide a pathway to permanent residency in Australia.
To be eligible for the 870 temporary parent visa, applicants must meet certain requirements, including meeting health and character criteria, having sufficient funds to support themselves, and having an approved Australian sponsor.
The 870 temporary parent visa has a limit on the number of visas that can be granted each year, and it is subject to annual quotas. As a result, there can be significant waiting periods for processing times.
It’s important to note that the 870 temporary parent visa is not suitable for all families, and it’s essential to consider all visa options and seek professional advice before making any decisions about applying for a visa.
The 870 Visa process:
- Eligibility: To be eligible for the 870 temporary parent visa, the applicant must have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, and meet the age requirements.
- Apply: The applicant can apply for the 870 temporary parent visa online or by post. The application must be submitted with all required documents and fees.
- Health and character checks: The applicant and any accompanying family members must undergo health and character checks.
- Wait for a decision: The Department of Home Affairs will assess the application and may request additional information or documents. The processing time for the visa may take several months.
- Visa grant: If the visa application is approved, the applicant will receive a visa grant notification with the visa conditions and validity period.
General sponsor requirements for the 870 temporary parent visa:
- The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- sponsors will need to have a taxable income of at least $83,454.80.
- The sponsor must be 18 years or above.
- The sponsor must meet the character requirements as set by the Department of Home Affairs.
- The sponsor must not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government.
- The sponsor must provide financial support to the parent(s) applying for the visa.
- The sponsor must provide accommodation to the parent(s) during their stay in Australia.
- The sponsor must provide comprehensive health insurance to the parent(s) for the duration of their stay in Australia.
- The sponsor must sign an agreement with the Australian government to cover any healthcare costs that the parent(s) may incur during their stay in Australia.
- The sponsor must ensure that the parent(s) do not become a burden on the Australian government.
- The sponsor must provide a written statement detailing their relationship with the parent(s) and the reasons for sponsoring them.