Australia has long been a preferred destination for international students seeking high-quality education in a multicultural environment. With its world-renowned universities, diverse culture, and stunning landscapes, it’s no wonder that many students dream of studying Down Under. However, for international students, one pressing question often arises: Can they bring their parents to Australia? In this article, we will explore the various options available for international students who wish to have their parents join them during their studies in Australia.

Visitor Visa

One of the most straightforward ways for parents to visit international students in Australia is through the Visitor Visa (Subclass 600). This visa allows parents to stay in Australia for up to 12 months at a time. However, it’s essential to note that this visa is primarily for short-term visits, such as attending graduation ceremonies, visiting during the holiday season, or providing temporary support during an emergency.


  • Allows parents to spend quality time with their children studying in Australia.
  • Relatively straightforward application process.
  • Can be extended for another 12 months, but a further visa application is required.


  • Parents cannot work in Australia on this visa.
  • No access to government-funded healthcare, so private health insurance is necessary.
  • Cannot be used for long-term stays or to provide ongoing care.
  1. Parent Visa (Subclass 103)

If international students want to bring their parents to Australia for a more extended stay, they can explore the Parent Visa (Subclass 103). This visa allows parents to live in Australia permanently as long as their child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.


  • Permanent residency for parents.
  • Access to government-funded healthcare through Medicare.
  • Opportunity to work and study in Australia.


  • Lengthy processing times and significant application fees.
  • Strict balance-of-family test requirements may apply, making it difficult to qualify.
  • Limited annual quotas, making competition for visas fierce.
  1. Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 870)

Introduced in 2019, the Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 870) offers a middle-ground solution for international students looking to have their parents stay with them for more extended periods. This visa allows parents to stay in Australia for up to five years at a time and can be renewed, making it a viable option for those seeking more extended support.


  • Longer stay options than the Visitor Visa.
  • Multiple renewals possible, allowing parents to stay for extended periods.
  • Parents can apply for the three-year or five-year visa options.


  • Restricted work rights, with only part-time work allowed.
  • High visa application fees and private health insurance requirements.
  • Requires assurance of support from the child studying in Australia.


While international students in Australia have several options to bring their parents to the country, the choice largely depends on their individual circumstances and preferences. The Visitor Visa is suitable for short-term visits, while the Parent Visa (Subclass 103) offers permanent residency but comes with high costs and strict requirements. The Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 870) provides a balanced solution for those looking for extended stays without the commitment of permanent residency.

It’s crucial for international students and their parents to carefully consider their goals and consult with an immigration expert to determine the most appropriate visa option. Regardless of the choice made, the opportunity for parents to visit and support their children during their studies in Australia can be a rewarding experience for the entire family.

In conclusion, Australia welcomes international students and their families, offering various visa options to facilitate family reunions and support networks during the pursuit of education in this beautiful country.